sunday august 12, 2012, JACKIE CIRA found her best friend's bloody lifeless body. REBECCA CAREY was killed by one or more of the five dogs in her home.
wednesday august 15, 2012, dekalb county gave dirt naps to all 5 dogs with the consent of REBECCA'S parents.
saturday august 18, 2012, REBECCA was buried.
while REBECCA was being buried, her best friend, co-worker and the person who found her lifeless body, JACKIE CIRA was launching a campaign against Tim Medlin & dekalb county and Rebecca's parents for the "immoral" killing of the dogs.
CIRA'S primary complaints:
- CIRA had secured new adopted homes for all 4 of REBECCA'S dogs but instead they were immorally killed - curious how other dogs languish in shelters and rescues for months and even years without a nibble but dogs accused of killing their owner have "numerous" people willing to take them in within 24 hours.
- CIRA'S dog, the therapy presa named DANAI was killed without forensic evidence proving that the "therapy" presa was involved in the attack - CIRA also states that the presa was co-owned by REBECCA which would give REBECCA'S parents the legal authority to dirt nap them.
- CIRA is upset that dekalb county AC refused to answer questions from ATLANTA HUMANE SOCIETY or allow them to assess the dogs - apparently CIRA doesn't understand that dekalb county AC is involved in the investigation of a homicide and answering the questions posed by animal rights activists or allowing any tom dick or harry into the investigation could jeopardize the investigation. "Let's apply an analogy". let's say your blood covered brother is scooped up in a murder investigation. do you march down to police headquarters and demand answers? do you demand that your friend, a rookie police officer from another county be allowed to question him?
within the first 24 hours of discovering her best friend's lifeless body, a body that succumbed to a violent end, JACKIE CIRA was busy trying to secure the safe return of killer dogs and harassing animal control about picayune chain of command details.
what is wrong with these people? a normal person would be in shock after stumbling on such a grisly scene. a normal person would be grieving the loss of her best friend and she would likely need the help of a professional to help her process the murder of her best friend. not JACKIE CIRA. she had the presence of mind to orchestrate the adoption of not one but five potentially murderous dogs and attempt a coup with an outside animal agency, not a week later but within 24 hours of discovering REBECCA'S body. this is not normal behavior.
CINDY MARABITO was still too embroiled in the LEAH PURCELL scandal to carry the nutter torch of righteous indignation but PENNY EIMS happily picked up the slack. and it looks as though penny's B12 starved fan club is up to the task and will give GREG NAPORA'S creepy send off of his wife, unborn baby & mutant a real run the money. a slew of freaky hybristophiliacs showed up and added their support for JACKIE CIRA and the immorally murdered dogs. one nutter even went so far as to say she would never want her dogs harmed even if they killed her.
i will help poor JACKIE CIRA spread her message of lunacy, a message that "She knows is what Rebecca would have wanted..."
here it is in all of its nutter glory. JACKIE CIRA'S letter, including the preamble by *3*Luv*Bugs* who claims to have met one of the presas and described it as "friendly" and "loving". presas are a VERY serious guard dog. friendly and loving are not traits selected for in manstoppers.
this letter is not found anywhere on the internet EXCEPT a baby forum.
On Sunday a friend of a friend, Rebecca Carey, was found dead in her home. She was found by a friend of mine, Jackie Cira. Rebecca was an animal advocate and devoted her life to animal rescue. She had 5 dogs in her home including a boxer mix, 2 pit bulls and 2 presa canarios. Dekalb County was called out to the scene and it was determined that she was attacked and had multiple bite wounds. No one is sure what happened, but it is believed that she was trying to break up a fight between the dogs and likely was attacked during the commotion.
One of the dogs at Rebecca's home that day was Jackie's sweet dog, Danai (a presa canario). I had met Danai on several occasions and she was always very friendly, calm and loving. Jackie was given a court date to see what she could do to get her dog back. Before she even had a chance to to fight to get Danai back into her custody Dekalb County Animal Control had euthanized all 5 dogs. Jackie knew euthanasia was a possibility, but was told that they would first have to conduct and conclude their investigation and forensics. But all of the dogs were euthanized within a couple of days of the fatal attack. hey knew which dog was the likely suspect. There was one pit bull that she had rescued just a couple weeks before that came from an abusive past and there were signs that it was the one responsible. Jackie's dog wasn't part of it and one of the dogs Rebecca had for 6 years and it was very sweet, another one was a certified therapy dog. They weren't all bad dogs. Such a sad and terrible story all around. Not only has Jackie been trying to deal with the unfortunate and unexpected loss of her best friend, but now has also lost her beloved family dog. Jackie has prepared an email and is asking for anyone who can to please forward this email to the following email address's on her behalf. She knows this is what Rebecca would have wanted...
The news has exaggerated many of the facts, but here is some of the story.
It won't take long to copy and paste this message and send it to a few email address's. Thanks in advance!
Here are the email addresses to send to:
firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org;
email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com;
firstname.lastname@example.org; email@example.com; Richard.Belcher@wsbtv.com;
The message to copy & paste:
We, caring friends of Rebecca Carey, dog enthusiasts & general public, have serious issues with the cursory procedures DeKalb County used in investigating Rebecca's death and DeKalb County Animal Control's subsequent cavalier euthanization of her dogs, whereby DAC disregarded temperament and behavior of the individual dogs and Rebecca's life mission.
1. Animal control officers were informed that 1 dog, female Presa named Danai, belonged to Jackie Cira, not Rebecca Carey, or her sister. Why was this dog destroyed with written permission of someone not legally in a position to do so? The parties involved made no attempt to obtain written permission from the rightful owner, even though knowledgeable regarding the name and address of the owner. Moreover, they immediately destroyed Danai without providing the owner, Ms. Cira, her legal right to a public hearing & without any forensic data to confirm that Danai contributed any bites that injured Rebecca. The same holds true for the tiny boxer, registered to a rescue organization. Why was this dog destroyed with written permission of someone not legally in a position to do so?
2. Why did DeKalb Animal Control evade and refuse to answer inquiries by Atlanta Humane Society regarding the dogs! Senior officials with AHS made numerous inquiries; however, answers to those inquiries were vague or nonexistent. AHS was willing to assess the dogs and take control of them.
3. At the scene, why did DAC officers tell Ms. Cira when she voiced concern for the dogs’ safety “that is what insurance is for?”
4. On Monday, August 13, why did DAC officers tell Ms. Cira and her mother, “The dogs would only have to stay another day"? Moreover, why did they state, "We PROMISE that NO ONE is going to hurt the dogs," when they knew that the statement was patently untrue. Furthermore, during that meeting, DAC officers were again informed that Danai, 1 of the 5 dogs, belonged to Jackie Cira. DAC knew full well they did not obtain proper authorization to euthanize Danai. Yet, they did anyway in violation of Ms. Cira's constitutional & statutory rights that prevent illegal seizure of property and provide her right to due process (5TH and 14th Amendment violations).
5. Why were all 5 dogs destroyed when multiple animal control workers stated how "sweet" the dogs were? DAC even gave all 5 dogs vaccinations without the dogs indicating aggressive behavior. When a veterinary staff member came back to main facility, in front of the officers, commented positively on the dogs' behavior.
6. Why did DeKalb Animal Control refuse to allow Atlanta Humane Society and a prominent Atlanta dog trainer from CPT to assess the dogs?
7. Why did the officer of DAC tell Jackie Cira's mother on Tuesday, August 14, when she asked to speak to his supervisor, "you don’t need to know that information"? DAC is a governmental service organization whose mission includes furthering humane treatment of animals. This officer’s behavior is unacceptable. As co-owner of 1 of the dogs, Ms. Cira had the right to speak to the supervisor and the supervisor had the obligation to speak to her.
8. Why was a certified therapy dog, Napoleon, destroyed without a formal behavioral evaluation and without any forensic evidence that attached Napoleon to any aggressive action?
9. Why was the agency that certified and worked with this dog not allowed to examine the dog?
10. Why did DAC refuse to hear any evidence about Napoleon's outstanding temperament and behavioral history? Most likely DAC acted in accordance with the philosophies of another DAC officer, who commented in public conversation that, "All pit bulls and presas should be put to sleep on sight." Given Napoleon's therapy dog history and that DeKalb County does not have breed specific legislation that outlaws Pit Bulls, and given DAC's mission to further the humane treatment of animals, impulsively destroying Napoleon without forensic evidence and without an evaluation is immoral, inappropriate, and in defiance to the wishes of the taxpaying general public and state legislators who have refused to share this officers’ (and apparently the DAC organization's) wish for a breed holocaust.
11. Why did Tim Medlin, Interim Animal Services Director of DAC, state he couldn't place the dogs when he KNEW that was factually incorrect. Numerous individuals and agencies had already willingly opened their doors to these dogs. He knew full by Monday, August 13 that adoptive homes had been found for all 4 of Rebecca's dogs.
12. Why did Tim Medlin state, "There was no way to determine which dog did what"? In addition, he stated, "He had no idea who did what?" The first statement by Mr. Medlin is factually incorrect. Veterinary forensics is an established field and a prominent veterinary forensics consultant and author resides in the Atlanta area. Since Mr. Medlin's first statement is untrue, we question whether his second statement is a result of lack of training, incompetence, laziness, or an arrogant, uncaring attitude. There are procedures, including dental casting and DNA, for determining which dog(s) inflicted the injuries to Rebecca. To cavalierly kill all the dogs without conducting an investigation defies DAC's mission to the public and disrespects Rebecca's life mission to rescue animals.
13. Why does DeKalb County allow such employees in its employ? More importantly, given the facts stated above, what will DeKalb County due to improve the performance of its Animal Control organization and employees? DeKalb County officials should be disgusted and ashamed by how the representatives of their county in their handled this matter.
DeKalb Animal Control was informed homes had been found for these dogs. Mr. Medlin's comment that he could not place the dogs is factually wrong. He chose not to place the dogs. He wantonly killed 5 dogs without any effort to obtain evidence to determine the specific dog that acted aggressively. Authorities were informed by Jackie Cira that 1 of the dogs was new to Rebecca's home and this dog most likely was the one who inflicted the injuries. Yet, Mr. Medlin murdered 4 other innocent dogs without putting forth a forensics effort and without obtaining a professional behavioral evaluation of the dogs, which several qualified parties agree to do pro bono. Moreover, although Mr. Medlin may have had the legal right to euthanize 3 of the dogs (though not a moral right), he certainly did not have a legal right to murder Danai or the dog registered to the rescue group.
Rebecca would be disgusted, angry, and thoroughly upset if she knew how her precious Napoleon was treated. She would be just as disgusted, angry, and upset over the treatment of Danai, Tango and the others, particularly given DeKalb County's unwillingness to investigate this matter to find the real culprit. If there is an afterlife Rebecca is likely looking down with scorn at the contempt DeKalb Animal Control showed for her life mission.
Let's apply an analogy as if DAC's mentality transferred to law enforcement's treatment of human citizens. Five people standing around; someone gets hurt. The police and courts don't take the time or care to determine who is culpable. They just punish them all! We are certain that there would be some huge constitutional rights law suits.
We thought that America as a country was evolving in the area of animal rights. However, we question whether Mr. Medlin and others at DAC prefer to remain in the dark ages. What is next? Will governmental figures receiving this letter take action to improve service and performance of DAC? Will media figures receiving this letter take action to inform the general public about the inappropriate murder of 2 dogs that occurred with disapproval and without authorization of the owner, about the general substandard service applied by DAC, and about the lies and inaccuracies stated by DAC's Acting Director
click here for JACKIE CIRA'S original plea for justice
if emails of criticism are to be sent to dekalb county officials, they should be in the form of a demand for stronger animal control laws, for example pet limits (there currently is no limit) and a revisit of the pit bull ban that was just rescinded in may. this time, please include the entire gripping dog family.
Tim Medlin, thank you for not allowing these creepy lunatics to play a part in an official investigation and most of all, thank you for removing ALL of these dogs from society.
GEORGIA FATAL PIT BULL ATTACKS